I think that there has been some misunderstanding about my diet. As I have mentioned in past food posts, I am on a mostly liquid diet due to a stomach condition I have called Gastroparesis. I also am fighting to lose weight, caused by a number of the medications that I am required to take on a daily basis.
I think that people read this and think that I am stuck in ‘diet culture’ and that I somehow have my priorities messed up and that my self worth is tied to the numbers I see on the scale.
I don’t believe that this is true, although I am open to having a discussion about it. What are your thoughts on diet culture? Is it wrong to have the desire to lose weight for yourself? To be healthy and fit for yourself? Has “dieting” become a dirty word in the feminist movement? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
In the meantime, I thought that I would share my recipe for one of the solid food staples that we serve around our house.
Bok Choy & Tofu Over Rice
- First, start cooking about 1 cup of rice in a rice cooker or Instant Pot. This should take approximately 12 mins.
- While your rice is cooking, heat up your frying pan and melt about 2 tbsps of coconut oil.
- Chop the white bulb off of approx 5 – 6 bunches of bok choy and put them in the frying pan to wilt.
- Chop up some button mushrooms and throw them in.
- Select some fried tofu. Try some of the awesome pre-marinated flavours that are available, if you’re in the mood for an extra zing.
- Add a small amount of Japanese dressing. This is usually a fairly thick brown sauce that has a lot of kick, so don’t use too much.
- Once the leaves of your bok choy have wilted and your mushrooms have started to sweat, then you should be just about done.
- Serve over rice! Enjoy!