You really don’t need a lot to start a blog, but if your going to do it well there are a few important tools that you should think of acquiring. Here is a list of some of the tools that I presently use to run my blog and my business.
- MacBook Pro Laptop – I use a Mac because they integrate with my other Apple devices. Any computer with a reliable internet connection is all you need to start blogging.
- Nikon D5000 – I am a lifelong Nikon photographer and am in love with my D5000. It takes beautiful images and also has video capability.
- iPhone 7 – Let’s face it, you are much more likely to have your phone on hand than your camera. This is why I feel that if you can’t afford to invest in a quality camera, you should be certain that your phone is equipped with a quality camera.
- 50mm f/1.8D lens – Otherwise known as the “nifty fifty”, this lens is fast enough that you rarely have to use your flash so you can capture brilliant images in natural light.
- Tripod – A sturdy aluminum tripod will be essential for your project shots or in any instances where you are taking images on your own.
I am a lifelong crafter and am always scouring the internet for new tools to add to my workspace. Here is a list of some of my favourite tried and true tools that I have acquired over the years.
- Janome MemoryCraft 9000 – Probably the best investment I ever made, I have had this sewing machine for well over a decade and it still works like new.
- Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine – This machine is a tank. I use it to handle my more hardy projects and it works like a dream.
- Olfa Cutting Mat – My mother was a professional seamstress and she always used an Olfa mat. It is very sturdy and affordable.
- Olfa Rotary Cutter – I find that if you are going to be doing a lot of pattern cutting then you should definitely invest in some rotary cutters. They are far easier on your hands and wrists than sewing shears.
- Canon PIXMA Printer – This is a high quality printer that you can use for all sorts of paper crafts or if you just want to print off reference images.
- Fujifilm Instax Printer – This is a recent purchase of mine. I am able to select my favourite images from my phone and print them off onto Instax film for great keepsakes.